Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blatant disrespect for human life

So I'm taking a break from math homework this afternoon (I know, someone had to really twist my arm), and I come across this article on Yahoo! News:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100406/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1490

I read the article and move on to the referenced video, which can be found here:

http://www.wikileaks.org/

or just watch it right here:



I remember hearing about the death of the Reuters employees in 2007, as well as other incidents involving non-embedded journalists which (at the time) sounded to me like there was more to the story than a simple "accident" or "mistake," as was typically reported at the time.

After having read this article, one thing I thought that was interesting was the commentary that was included from former helicopter pilot A.J. Martinez, who is admonishing the website that published the video for not offering more footage and (allegedly) intentionally alluding a broader context that might be sympathetic to military personnel. While I certainly advocate for greater perspective, I have a feeling there isn't much more to be found, and here's why:

#1 - There is enough footage (and judging by the commentary) to make it obvious that military personnel were not being fired upon; directly or indirectly.

#2 - The blatantly disrespectful commentary makes it clear that the individuals involved were actively looking for a target to shoot.

#3 - When the van pulled up to help the wounded (and they were quite obviously only helping the wounded), instead of simply making an attempt to disable the vehicle, they completely annihilated it.

While I agree that there are professions that, as a society, we expect the individuals to assume roles of great risk, however, at what point do we stop apologizing for ineptitude, neglect, and intentional malfeasance, and hold people accountable for their actions and assign some responsibilty along with that risk? Judging by the military's official statements that were made immediately after the incident, it doesn't seem they think any is necessary.

It seems like for the last 8 years every time I turn around I see something or hear someone talking about how *I* need to give deference to the military and *I* need to "support our troops," and other like statements alluding to the notion that I am somehow less of a person or care less for my country if I do not. People say that war is unpleasant, and I would agree. I would also agree that people have a right to defend themselves; so in light of that I have to ask, where were these people's rights to defend themselves from trigger happy soldiers?




No comments:

Post a Comment